We are more than just our physical bodies.
Within each of us is an emotional body, the part of ourselves that interprets the meaning of our life events through feelings and emotions. We also have a spiritual body, which is reflected in our development to our sense of purpose of our lives and how we connect to our highest self. Shakespeare said, “To thine own self be true”; a great adage to describes the essence of our spiritual side. Mental health is yet another aspect of our beings.
Before we get into the details of cleanses and how herbalism can be used to assist and support the body for that purpose, let’s take some time to think about simple, cheap (often free!) and time honored ways we can add to increase the depth of a cleanse.
Below are just a few ideas for you to try. Feel free to add your own practices and listen to the desires and needs of your body.
- Relaxing, uplifting music.
- Reflection and introspection, through journaling, reading poetry.
- Guided meditations or relaxation.
- Creative pursuits like drawing, painting, sculpture.
- Spending a bit of each day in nature, even if it is a simple walk in your yard to notice what’s growing and living next to you.
- Dream work.
Spiritual and Emotional body:
- Clean, organize and rearrange your living spaces.
- Connect with others, share your appreciation through letters, calls or thoughts.
- Charting personal goals and aspirations – no matter how far fetched (note: this should be different that a to-do list).
- Make a list of 25 things that make you happy and do one each day (a recommendation from Nicholas Schnell, a great Nebraska herbalist who has a fabulous book about cleansing).
- Engaging in a spiritual practice.
- Rituals of starting anew, letting go or anything in between.
- Saunas, steams, sea salt baths.
- Massage, professionally or at home.
- Skin brushing, salt scrubs.
- Stretching, yoga, martial arts.
- Exercise that is pleasing to you.
- Slow walks (an amazing practice taken from Paulo Coelho’s The Pilgrimage) or brisk walks.
- Lots of sleep! Naps if you need them.